Thursday, April 30, 2009

Unbeliever # 4

http://rachelbarnhart.blogspot.com/
Unbeliever #4

This guy's interview made me smile because this is where I use to be a few months ago. I was very bitter towards God and the people who tried to push Him on me. Yes, I went through this stage when I was in Master's...talk about a trajedy! So I hear where he's coming from. Here are the results! Enjoy!!!!! I did!
What do you think is the greatest need in your area? The greatest need in my area is a reality check in general. I think Marlton, NJ has got to be one of the most backwards suburban towns in the U.S., where everyone's focused on materialistic fulfillment. It
would be nice if people around here could just live and greatfully take whatever comes their way, without turning it into some competition for attention or into some gay new trend everyone else must subscribe to.
Are you currently attending a church?
Absolutely not
Why do you think most people don't attend church?
I think most people choose not to attend church because they believe
saying they're a christian works just fine. "Yea, I'm a christian
brah," he says and then snorts a line. For me, there is a multitude of
reasons behind it, but the main reason is I do not believe in God or
that Jesus was his son, so there really isn't too much a reason for me
to go. Other than that, after spending nearly a decade of my life
growing up in church, I have found so many other reasons not to go
including: drama in the youth group, drama in the adult congregation,
blatant and abundant hypocrisy, the bottomless offering-baskets,
ideals that are Right- no matter WHAT! It says it right there in the
bible!, and plenty more. Basically, I find church to be a mess of
issues that can be easily avoided by...Just not going.
If you were looking for a church to attend, what kind of things would you look for?
I would look for a church that encourages questioning and skepticism
of their beliefs. And one that had a leader that could at least
attempt to prove his bleiefs rather than throwing down the "It's A
Religion: Don't Go There" card. (But, who am I kidding?) I mean, these
guys majored in this crap but they can't back it up with anything else
but the fact that questioning religion's taboo? Come on.
What advice can you give pastors who really want to be helpful to people?
I would give the pastor this advice: step down off the pulpit and
talk to your congregation like people, because even though they don't
realize their being jaded into everything you're saying, you should as
a pastor. Get to know them, try and answer their questions, debate
with them, hear what they're saying. I think doing that will teach
people how to think for themsleves again, at least in church, and
maybe eventually that will spread into the community and so on. What
I'm saying is, I'd tell the pastor to challenge his religion, and to
encourage his flock to do the same, because the ones that know how to
think for themselves are already gone, and he shouldn't want to lose
anymore. I think getting people to think for themselves again is the
most helpful thing anyone could do.

I know this is a really long blog, but I thought you would appreciate his remarks and I didn't want you to miss out on any! These are the teens I love to interact and connect with. Those who have been hurt and are quite bitter. I love challenges and they bring me such joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment