Saturday, February 14, 2009

Wesley Shortridge

Guest Speaker: Wesley Shortridge


Due to the fact that I will be starting a youth group in West York with Rick Roth, I really needed to hear this. The truth is...I'm really nervous in starting this youth group. I feel as though I am being attacked with so many lies and fears. Wesley really challenged me in so many areas, especially in conquering my fear of stepping out. I love the fact that he went straight to the point and didn't beat around the bush. Yeah, there were a few things I didn't agree with, but I chose to look past that fact and take into consideration that we all have our own opinions. However, there is one thing I have a question about. He mentioned that he focuses his sermons on what the people want to hear. And well, last week we heard that Anna and Jonathan focus a lot on the beginning (creation, God's love, etc.). I guess my question is, when does Wes talk about the core of Christianity. If he's constantly focusing on what the people want to hear like money and other stuff, then when do you tell them what they need to hear like God's love and forgiveness? I mean isn't that what changes lives? If it wasn't for God's love and His Word, we wouldn't know how to manage our money. I just wanted to know when he tells them the reason we are followers of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment